R is for Resolution

My name is Ms Green.

Dear 8B,

If you are anything like me at the start of a new school year, you resolve to be a better person (or in my case, a better teacher). For instance, I tend to make myself all kinds of unrealistic promises, like these:

I shall be kind, patient and considerate to all my students, even on Friday in Period 6 when the weekend is beckoning…

2 If students make questionable excuses, I shall not roll my eyes or respond with an acerbic comment. Instead, I shall listen quietly and sympathetically.

3 When students beg me to make them a Kahoot, I shall exert myself to fulfil their wishes.

Sometimes I manage to live up to these high hopes, but quite often I fail dismally. Once winter sets in, I find that my temperament, like the weather, becomes less sunny. You may remind me of the resolutions above any time you like.

Kind regards from Ms Green

Your first comment: What are your resolutions, hopes and dreams for this year? Write at least one in a comment at the bottom of this post. Use formal, correct English and ONLY YOUR FIRST NAME.

Sentence starters:

• This year I hope to…
  • I would like to show that…
  • During this year I promise to…
  • In the next twelve months, I shall try to overcome my tendency to… 
  • One of my plans for this year is to…

The sun goes down on the summer holidays.

J is for Journey

The first English task for this year is titled “J is for Journey”. The idea comes from a novel by Barry Jonsberg titled My Life as an Alphabet, which I highly recommend. It is an amusing and touching story. 

Two sample slides from my own presentation:

Each slide or page of your presentation should include a picture, a letter, a corresponding key word and an explanation.

Try to use pictures that you have taken yourself. I snapped the photo above in a gourmet supermarket: power through Vitamin C – and word play!

Essential Tasks

• Write a comment in which you describe one resolution for this year. This need not have anything to do with English or school. It may refer to sport, friendships, music or hobbies, for instance.
  • Set yourself the task of completing one alphabet letter for “J is for Journey” each day or two. Time will also be provided in class. Each page or slide should include a letter, a corresponding word, an image and 2-4 sentences explaining your point clearly.

Essential Links

18 thoughts on “R is for Resolution

1. This year I’d like to manage my time wisely and efficiently. I hope to have a calendar this year as deadlines come quickly; remembering isn’t my strong point.

2. One of my plans for this year is to perform as best I can in both sport and academic areas. I would like to try my best in everything I undertake.

3. This year, I hope to learn more skills, be more organized and productive and have fun so I can live through this year like no other.

4. One of my plans this year is to strive to be better at soccer – to practise and be the best so that one day I can play in the league.

5. In the next twelve months, I am going to endeavour to be better at time management so that I can manage my projects more efficiently.

6. For this year my resolution is to be more organised when it comes to homework and assignments, by not getting distracted and by doing things straight away.

7. This year my resolution is to try to stay focused in class and work hard so that I can achieve the best result that I possibly can.

8. This year I aspire to be more inspired in my everyday life. I want to get back into art and drawing and being more creative whenever I can; I also wish to continue my blog faithfully. In school, however, I want to try harder and put even more effort into everything I do.